Thursday, October 30, 2008

Sign Language

HANNAH: (sitting up in bed) You know Mom, when people's ears are broken they talk like this (moving her fingers).

MOMMY: What do you mean when people's ears are broken?

HANNAH: When someone's ears doesn't work b/c it is broken they talk like this (again moving her fingers).

Finally I realize that she was signing.

MOMMY: Oh, I see. Yes that is correct. When someone's ears are broken the can't hear, that means they are deaf, so they have to use sign language.

She then proceeds to tell me how someone with brokn ears would say sorry (moving her fisted hand in a circle on her chest). She also showed me thank you and more (which we used when she was a baby).

I was totally amazed b/c here was a 3.5 yo telling me something that I would not expect a child at this age to understand or even to articulate as well as she did. Even more so b/c this month I am on peds and see a lot of kids at all different levels. Of course, I am bias and have to say Hannah is really smart!

No comments: